As primary Allied Healthcare Practitioners, osteopaths take data protection and confidentiality issues very seriously. This Privacy Notice outlines what personal information we collect about you, how we collect it, and how it is used and stored.
Information We Collect
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Contact and other personal information you provide when booking appointments online or on the telephone.
- Information about your current and historical health and lifestyle, for the purpose of making informed clinical decisions and providing safe, effective treatment. This information is collected by your osteopath verbally at a face to face appointment.
- Information from surveys that we may use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
How Your Data will be Used
Your data may be used for:
- Email appointment confirmations and text reminders, to help you remember your appointments.
- Emailing you personalised exercise plans or other relevant health advice.
- Accounting, billing and payment card verification.
- Emailing you about changes to our service.
- Occasional newsletters and marketing promotions. From May 2018, you will be asked at your first appointment whether you are happy to receive such communications. You can also opt out at any time via an unsubscribe link in any marketing emails from us or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anonymised patient health data may be used by us or third party academic research organisations for research purposes.
Confidentiality is a legal requirement of osteopaths, and it is of paramount importance that our patients can trust us with their information. We therefore ensure that:
- Paper-based patient records and information are stored securely in a locked filing cabinet when not in use.
- Practitioners and reception staff only view patient information they need to see.
- We keep confidential who visits our practice, where they live, the date and times of their
appointments and any other personal or medical details.
Will Your Data be Shared with Anyone?
We will not share your data with anyone who does not need access without your written consent.*
Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
- Your osteopath in order that they can provide you with treatment and schedule appointments.
- Administrative staff, such as our accountant who may have access to contact details, but not medical notes.
- We also use Mailchimp to coordinate our messages, so your name and email address may be saved on their server.
*Only in the extremely rare instance of a legal order, or where with-holding data may pose a serious safety risk, would data ever be shared without your consent.
How Long Will Your Data be Retained?
Osteopaths have a legal obligation to retain patient records for 8 years after their most recent appointment, or in the case of children until they reach 25 years of age (See the Osteopathic Practice Standards). After these time periods, personal data and medical notes will be destroyed.
Who is Responsible for Data Protection?
Emma Lipson (Principal Osteopath) is responsible for data protection at Feel Better Osteopathy. Feel Better Clinic Ltd trading as Feel Better Osteopathy is registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). If you have any concerns about how we handle your data, please contact Emma Lipson: email@example.com / 01926 419967. If you are not satisfied with our response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the ICO.